Move to UC

‘Move to UC’ refers to the UK government’s plan to move ‘legacy’ benefit claimants on to Universal Credit (UC). Universal Credit is designed to replace benefits such as income-based JSA and ESA, Income Support, Housing Benefit, and Child and Working Tax Credits.

Freephone advice helpline

0800 915 4604

Email us for advice

For non-advice-related queries, email:

  • Move to UC

    Universal Credit is designed to replace the following benefits: income-based Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA), income-related Employment and Support Allowance (ESA), Income Support, Housing Benefit, Child Tax Credit and Working Tax Credit.

  • Making a claim

    Anyone can in principle make a claim to Universal Credit, although you may be advised to check the basic conditions of entitlement before doing so.

  • Maintaining a claim

    Unlike some benefits, which do not require much action from the claimant once payments have started, you will need to take regular action to ensure that your Universal Credit payments continue.

  • Our Move to UC work

    Find out about the ongoing work Advice NI is doing with the Move to UC. This includes publishing research reports, delivering training for advisers, and offering information sessions for members of the public.