Out of Work Benefits

If you are looking for work or you are unable to work due to a health condition or caring responsibilities, the following benefits provide a degree of income protection.

It is possible to claim Universal Credit (UC) alongside either of the ‘new-style’ benefits to further boost your income or to access help with childcare or housing costs.

You can do a limited amount of part-time work while receiving either of the ‘new-style’ benefits. UC, on the other hand, does not have restrictions on the amount of work you do – rather, as your earnings increase your award of UC will be reduced.

New-Style Employment & Support Allowance

Employment and Support Allowance (ESA) is an income-replacement benefit for those unable to work because of illness or disability. Claimants will need to complete a medical assessment to continue receiving the benefit in the long-term and may also have to engage in work-focused activity.

More information about New-Style ESA, claim procedures and contact information is at nidrect:

New-Style Jobseeker’s Allowance

Jobseeker’s Allowance (JSA) is an unemployment benefit payable for up to 182 days to anyone who has made sufficient National Insurance contributions. Claimants will be required to make regular reports to their Work Coach about job search activities.

More information about New-Style JSA, claim procedures and contact information is at nidirect:

Universal Credit

See our separate page for more information about Universal Credit.