Advice NI AGM 2015
Advice NI continue to help people in crisis as usage of foodbanks soar. Advice NI conference discusses future welfare reform changes and protection for the most vulnerable as use of foodbanks rises by 48%.
Advice NI’s Annual General Meeting will hear how use of foodbanks across the province has risen sharply in 2015, as the outworkings of the ‘Fresh Start’ deal are discussed. The conference, which is due to take place on Friday 11th of December at Riddel Hall in Stranmillis, will come at a time when the need for advice services has never been greater. The theme of the Advice NI event is ‘Social Security in Northern Ireland: Understanding Reform; Protecting the Vulnerable’.
Speakers include the Chair of the Social Development Committee, Alex Maskey MLA, Professor Eileen Evason who is leading the welfare reform mitigations working group and David McAuley, the Chief Executive of the Trussell Trust which runs a network of over 420 foodbanks across the UK, with 22 foodbanks in Northern Ireland.
What they said
Welfare reform has created a great deal of uncertainty and concern for many across Northern Ireland, and the startling figures relating to food bank use are a testament to how hard life is for many people. This network will play a vital role in helping people through the changes that lie ahead.
Bob Stronge, Chief Executive of Advice NI
AGM 2015 Gallery
Key information presented at the event included:
- Advice NI dealt with 260,000 enquiries in 2014/15 year;
- It represented at over 3,000 social security tribunals;
- Assisted in Benefit Uptake work which generated total additional benefits of over £14.2 million;
- Advised and supported over 5,000 clients with debts totalling £62 million;
For more information contact Barry Turley on 07734 256318
The speakers at the event were:
- Chair of the Social Development Committee, Alex Maskey MLA
- Professor Eileen Evason who is leading the welfare reform mitigations working group
- Tommy O’Reilly, Chief Executive of the Social Security Agency
- David McAuley, the Chief Executive of the Trussell Trust
- Marie Gilmore, Manager, Magherafelt District Advice Service
- Bob Stronge, Chief Executive, Advice NI