Covid 19 Community Helpline Volunteer
This role involves answering queries from the public over the phone along with signposting to appropriate practical help and support. More information on the role can be found below or you can download the role description.
If you wish to be considered please contact Laura McDonald, Volunteer Coordinator at Laura@adviceni.net or 028 9064 5919 for a registration form.
Role summaryAs a helpline volunteer:
- You will answer the Covid-19 Community Helpline and work with the caller to ascertain their needs.
- You will either answer the query yourself with relevant information where possible or more likely refer the caller to other agencies and sources of practical help and support.
- You will be provided with resources to help you with this these include.
- A specific Helpline Directory of external partners for onward referral;
- Referral pathways for food, medicine, fuel and social/emotional support.
- You will make onward referrals using the most appropriate and available channels (telephone, email, Advice Pro ‘digi’ referral), setting out clearly the client details and the reason for the referral.
- You will provide advice and information to clients in a friendly and easily understood manner.
- You will avail of online training and information provided by Advice NI.
EquipmentVolunteers will work from home and are expected to have access to WIFI. Advice NI will provide all IT equipment for you to undertake the role for example a phone and iPad.
Skills requiredThe volunteer requires the following skills:
- Good verbal and written communication skills
- Excellent telephone manner and people skills
- Good time management
- Fully computer literate and comfortable with the main Microsoft Office tools, databases and emails
- Friendly and proactive character
- Be comfortable volunteering by yourself
- Have the ability to understand and explain complex issues to a wide range of people
- Being able to use your own initiative but be able to ask for help when you need
Training and supportVolunteers will be provided with training, this will be in the form of Zoom, online training courses/videos and an information induction booklet. You will be expected to participate in at least 3 Zoom training sessions.
Benefits to the VolunteerVolunteers will have the opportunity to:
- Develop new and existing skills
- Provide telephony support to people
- Develop practical call handling skills
- Gain experience volunteering in a charity
- Have the satisfaction of knowing you are making a vital difference to the community
Application ProcedureThe application procedure is as follows:
- Expression of interest
- Registration Form
- Informal interview via zoom and/or the telephone
- Two references
- Settling in period
Download the full role description