National Lottery players help create new £1.6m facility for older people in West Belfast
A new intergenerational Centre of Excellence described as the ‘future of older people’s services’ has been opened in Belfast following the refurbishment of a derelict building on the Falls Road.
Alongside creating a vital new resource for older people, the space is also intended to help revitalise life in the area claiming back an abandoned building and creating better connections for older people within the wider community.
The project was supported by a range of funders including The National Lottery Community Fund with a grant of over £350,000, the Department for Communities, the Wolfson Foundation and the Alpha Fund.
Based on its initial aspirations and taking account of the consultation findings, as well as the actual physical potential of the site Springfield Charitable Association has an Older People’s Hub that includes the following:
- A Day Resource Centre for older people (consisting of activity rooms, a small library, treatment rooms, communication & consultation rooms, a hydrotherapy pool and an older people’s gym).
- An Advice Centre Service accessible to the entire local community (consisting of a number of advice support rooms).
- A depot for the storage of goods for sale in SCA’s second hand shops.
- Provision of a small number of rentable office and training spaces to support income generation & sustainability.
- A centralised SCA administration and headquarters under one roof.
- An urban allotment and horticultural garden.
- The creation of a number of social enterprises designed to address long term sustainability: Premium Care, Office Rental and Conference Facilities
Terry McNeill from Springfield Charitable Association said: “The aim of the project is to improve the health and quality of life of older people by encouraging a more active lifestyle and healthy diet through a drop-in centre that also provides a safe place to socialise.
“This is a move away from reactive care to a more preventative approach to care provision. Also within the building we will house an advice centre service that will provide the perfect location to match our advisors’ excellent skills.
Opening Hours 9:30 to 4:30
27 Clonard Crescent, BT13 2QN