Could you spot the symptoms of debt?
- They have been in debt in the past
- They have had a recent life event – an event that has resulted in a loss of income or higher spending for example having a baby, being made redundant, illness, divorce or a death in the family.
- They are living beyond their means or over spending – they always seem to have the latest ‘must have’ items although they don’t have the income to cover this.
- They seem anxious, withdrawn or depressed – they have reduced time socialising, they are avoiding friends.
- They may seem more secretive – starting to hide issues and avoiding talking about finances
- They have changed their spending habits – either reducing spending (e.g. going on fewer holidays or eating out less) or overspending (spending without a plan for repayment for example putting luxury items on credit)
- They seem tired or are having trouble sleeping
- Their weight has changed suddenly – either increasing or decreasing
The Money advice Service free online Budget Planner puts you in control of your household spending and analyses your results to help you take control of your money. It’s already helped hundreds of thousands of people. Before you get started, grab as much information (bank statements, bills…) as you can. The more up to date your details are, the more accurate your results will be.
Christmas budget planner https://www.moneyadviceservice.org.uk/en/tools/christmas-money-planner